SuperOrganism
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revision of Polyergus

3 posters

Go down

Revision of Polyergus Empty Revision of Polyergus

Post by James C. Trager Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:18 pm

Hello all:

I am actually working on the revision of Polyergus that some readers will know that I have been promising for years. At the moment, I am gathering the morphometric data for the western North American breviceps group. I will proceed next to the lucidus group, then to the Eurasian forms. These measuring marathons will be followed by statistical analysis, writing and rewriting and rewriting, some drawing and table preparation, and eventually, a manuscript worthy of publication.

I am also collaborating with others on genetic fingerprinting of various populations. So dear readers, if you encounter these beautiful ants, please collect Polyergus workers and a sample of alates, if available, into 90-95% ethanol. Also please, please throw in a few host Formica workers, too. Samples from almost anywhere will be helpful, as modern sampling thus far has been very localized.

James C. Trager

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Back to top Go down

Revision of Polyergus Empty Re: Revision of Polyergus

Post by Laurent C. Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:28 am

Nice! Everyone who is motivated enough to schedule such a revision deserve to be helped!!
I will try on my own to look for these fasinating ants and inform other "ant lovers" from France to do the same. Some people I know, and Nicolas can confirmed, have some Polyergus on their own garden!
We'll need your complete adress to send you the samples.
I wish you good luck for the revision!

Laurent C.

Number of posts : 9
Job/hobbies : PhD Student, myrmecology
Registration date : 2008-01-26

http://www.ulb.ac.be/sciences/ecoevol/cournault_EN.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Benoit Guenard Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:16 am

That is a great project. You can be sure to have some specimens if I found them. Unfortunately, that was not the case so far.
Would like me to take a look at the NCSU collection and tell you how much Polyergus they have and the different locations? I will probably go during the day, so I could do that at this point.
Benoit Guenard
Benoit Guenard
Admin

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-01-19

https://formicidae.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by James C. Trager Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:57 am

Thanks for the offers of specimens.
The address:

Dr. James C. Trager